Note: This "letter to the editor" was published in Rick Stanley's We The People Scoop newsletter, in 2005. From the moment I read it, I remembered this perceptive, truth-telling witness, Mr. John Jay of Oxnard, California.
MEANNESS COMING FROM WASHINGTON, D.C.
by John Jay (Oxnard, CA) June 18, 2005
I have been alive on this earth for 63 years and have been voting and watching the political processes since I turned 21 (many moons ago). In all of those many years, I have NEVER seen more meanness coming from one place as there has been from Washington DC (specifically Congress) in the past 15 years. Here is a BRIEF list of the meanness I am referring to. Space and time limit the number of items I can address in a Letter to the Editor:
1. The USA Patriot Act: The worst act passed by Congress any time during the past 50 years. It is aimed at limiting the Bill of Rights or neutralizing the same. It is being used to stifle dissent here in the USA, and NOT in other countries. 90% of the enforcement is right here, against law abiding citizens who happen to disagree with their government! Really a mean act (unconstitutional too)!
2. The Homeland Security Act: This act set up a gigantic bureaucracy (HSA) whose mission is primarily aimed at controlling dissent here in the USA and putting American citizens behind bars. Do anything which sounds radical, could be radical, or might be radical, and you will be on their watch lists or behind bars, with VERY limited rights to do anything about it. Sounds like a home grown version of the old KGB in the old Soviet Union doesn't it??? Same intent, same objectives, same end results! If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, then it must be a duck! HSA equals KGB, pure and simple. Watch what you say and what you do. The HSA is certainly watching (and listening)!
3. Bankruptcy Reform Act: As passed, it guarantees one thing for certain: The greedy will be protected at the expense of the needy! It was passed for the benefit of the greedy, to protect the greedy, and to punish the needy! The result: No limitations for the greedy rich, but LOTS of limitations for the needy poor! Pure meanness!
4. Defeat of the Minimum Wage Act: More MEAN legislation for the benefit of the greedy, to punish the needy! Really mean!
5. Most Favored Nation Status for China: Guaranteed that we would be floating on a sea of Chinese made products (go look in your nearest stores for the Made in China label). Has replaced millions of American workers with cheapo labor in China!
6. General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT): Should have been called General Agreement to Screw American Workers. It has caused a vast transfer of jobs to India and other cheapo labor nations!
7. North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA): Should be called Export American Jobs to Mexico Agreement. It has NOT stopped the flow of illegal immigration, as was promised by it zealous advocates in the Executive branch and the Congress. In fact, illegal immigration has been much greater after NAFTA than before NAFTA!! Wages are still low in Mexico, and the "Gigantic Sucking Sound (of jobs leaving this country)" stated by Ross Perot, is taking place at an ever increasing rate.
By the way, who is writing all of this mean and evil legislation??? According to a book by Senator Robert Byrd, entitled LOSING AMERICA, the lobbyists in the capitol write ALL legislation along with the Executive branch (i.e.King George's bunch)! Senator Byrd stated that members of Congress merely enact legislation written by the Executive branch or lobbyists.
2440 W. Hemlock Street
Oxnard, CA 93035