Barbara Hartwell

My photo
Independent Investigator, Intelligence Analyst, Journalist. Former CIA (NOC, Psychological Operations) Black Ops Survivor. Sovereign Child of God. Minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ (Ordained 1979, D.Div.) Exposing Government Lies, Crimes, Corruption, Conspiracies and Cover-ups.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Invasion of Privacy by Topica



I have been a supporter of political prisoner Leonard Peltier for over thirty (30) years. For more than a decade, I have been publishing Internet reports on the Peltier case, the most recent being those which come directly from Leonard Peltier, as well as from various organizations which support him, all of whom engage in activism for his freedom.

Due to my longtime support and activism on behalf of Leonard Peltier, a few years ago, I was asked to become a "V.I.P. signatory", on a list which is by invitation only, which I considered an honor. 

The website is the International Peltier Forum
 

VIP Support (list of signatories)
 

Today, 569 celebrities, scholars, journalists, politicians, and organizations have already signed the International Peltier Forum. Simply click on the name to see the signed Forum letter. To protect their privacy, we have removed most of the addresses. Where available, we have added photographs of the signatories; and a link to their homepage. Each Forum signatory is listed with his/her professional occupation, and country flag.

See Barbara Hartwell page:
 

Up until a few months ago, I was receiving regular updates, letters and documents on the Leonard Peltier case, from the International Peltier Forum, many of which I published on this website.

(See archives on this site or do a search for Barbara Hartwell and Leonard Peltier.)

Unfortunately, I won't be able to continue publication of these reports. Here's why: In order to receive Leonard Peltier news items, it is necessary to subscribe to a service called Topica.

In the past there was no problem, and I received the updates on a regular basis. Then I changed my e-mail address, and when I tried to resubscribe, I could not --at least not without intrusive questions being asked which would invade my privacy.

Here, my letter to Topica. It is self explanatory. Following my letter is the response I got from the "Topica Abuse Team". Note that my complaint is summarily dismissed --as if it were nothing but a mere "inconvenience"; that whoever wrote it addresses me by my first name, yet it is not signed by any person, so the respondent remains anonymous.

These privacy violations by those using the Internet for profit need to stop!  I can guarantee that Topica is a business, and that they are making money off the lists they send out. I refuse to subscribe to this list --on principle. 

Too bad that now, the readers of my site will be deprived of Leonard Peltier updates, at least those sent out via the Topica list.

If you care about your privacy, let Topica know what you think about their unconscionable invasions!

LETTER TO TOPICA FROM BARBARA HARTWELL  

To Whom It May Concern:

When I supplied my e-mail address in an attempt to subscribe to the Leonard Peltier newsletter (from KOLA), I then saw the form to be filled out, which in certain categories the information was "required". I decided not to fill out the form because "requiring" my year of birth is a violation of my privacy, and so I decided not to subscribe.

I received an e-mail about the subscription, despite the fact that I did NOT complete the form to subscribe.

I had previously subscribed to this list to get updates on Leonard Peltier, which I often published on my website. I am also one of the V.I.P. signatories on the KOLA site. In the past, I was not asked for my year of birth, nor was it "required" on the subscription form. I recently changed my e-mail address, which is why I tried to re-subscribe under the new address.

Please note that this is my formal complaint about invasion of privacy by Topica. Please also remove my e-mail address from this list.

Thank you for your consideration.

Barbara Hartwell Percival
Legal Defense & Research Trust

P.S. A copy of this complaint will be sent to the administrator of the KOLA website.

ANONYMOUS RESPONSE FROM TOPICA

"Hi Barbara,

Sorry for the inconvenience. You have been removed from the list.

Thanks"