Barbara Hartwell

My photo
Independent Investigator, Intelligence Analyst, Journalist. Former CIA (NOC, Psychological Operations) Black Ops Survivor. Sovereign Child of God. Minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ (Ordained 1979, D.Div.) Exposing Government Lies, Crimes, Corruption, Conspiracies and Cover-ups.

Thursday, October 8, 2026

ON THE DEATH PENALTY


This is an issue on which I have always had strong views. I am against the death penalty and I will explain my reasons.


But before I do, I should make it clear that I have an absolute hatred for evil, and that I am outraged by any form of injustice. In keeping with my views, I have been an activist for my entire adult life.


I have protested so many forms of injustice over the years, I have lost count. I have marched on Washington for various issues and have been arrested for my efforts.


I have also been the victim of more injustices than most people could even imagine, mostly at the hands of the U.S. Government (specifically CIA).


As a government whistleblower, and as a journalist, I have been exposing injustices and corruption for decades.


When it comes to injustices, I am a “zero tolerance” type individual. I am a hard-line, law-and-order conservative.


I have been accused many times of being overly “harsh” in my writings and broadcasts, when exposing criminals and assorted evildoers.


During the 1980s I worked as a press representative for a New York chapter of Amnesty International. We wrote letters to foreign despots in efforts to free unjustly held prisoners. As a journalist, my job was to raise public awareness of the atrocities. Some of our group believed in the death penalty, some (including me) did not.


The way I see things, the bad guys (I mean the truly bad) need to be stopped, by any and all lawful and ethical means possible. If they are harming innocent people (especially children) or animals, they need to be taken off the streets. I don't care so much about “punishment” as I do that they are prevented from doing more harm to the innocent.


Lock them up and throw away the key! That solves the problem and protects the public from more crimes. I have no sympathy for these criminals, just to make it clear.


But why am I against the death penalty?


As a Christian, I believe that no one can escape God's justice. We will all have to stand before God. He is the judge.


Innocent people have been falsely convicted of crimes they did not commit. Some have been executed.


It deprives the person of the opportunity to repent, and to convert.


At my church I am a member of the prison ministry. We don't go to a prison. We send cards to the prisoners. And these prisoners are all on death row. All of us in the group are against the death penalty.


This was a ministry I was reluctant to join. I don't know what crimes these people committed, and didn't want to know. If they are on death row, they had to be the worst. But I asked myself, what if getting a card from a Christian, letting them know I am praying for them, might plant a seed? What if it makes a difference?


So I write the cards. It costs me nothing, I have nothing to lose.


Yes, if they are guilty of the crimes, they should remain in prison, no doubt. The only way to protect the innocent.


Recently Pope Leo stated his position on the death penalty:


"The Catholic Church has consistently taught that each human life, from the moment of conception until natural death, is sacred and deserves to be protected.” 

 

“Indeed, the right to life is the very foundation of every other human right."


"The death penalty is inadmissible because it is an attack on the inviolability and dignity of the person."


I could not agree more! Everything he said was what I believed long before I heard him say it. And since I am Catholic, I will follow the teachings of the Church.


Lastly, here is a podcast from Father Stephen Imbarrato, speaking against the death penalty, for the same reasons as Pope Leo.


He has a great ministry, which is why I am a huge fan and support his work.

 

Thank you, Father Stephen! 


Father Stephen Imbarrato


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-X18xfOXeQ


I hope you will prayerfully consider what is written here. I believe that no true Christian can ethically support the death penalty and that it should be abolished.


Barbara Hartwell

October 8, 2026